The NCAA Football Blog: A virtual stadium where fans get an insider-look at NCAA Football
with opinions, guest bloggers, and celebrities giving their take.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Time to be Productive; Alvin Pearman exclusive to Every Game Counts

By: Alvin Pearman

Once again I feel the pressure, the pressure that I somewhat miss from college. The pressure that gets my blood pumping and attention alert. It is just enough to let me know that I’m really alive. I was just told that I need to have this blog sent in very shortly and just like so many papers over the course of my time at UVA I’ve got to get this done at the last minute.

What kind of student waits till the last minute to get his papers done? The kind that needs pressure to really thrive. In my young life I've found that one of my strongest qualities is the ability to perform under pressure. The same reason why I have aced last minute papers is the same reason why on fourth and 4, trailing by 5 with 3 seconds left on the clock, ball on the 10 yard line, I want the ball in my hands.

During my 3 and a half years at Virginia, this pressure I’m talking about was as apparent as the Rotunda. Outside of my dedication to the football program, I constantly had a test looming or a term paper that needed to be worked on or a lab that needed to be completed, or a book that needed to be read and so on. When asked what the biggest difference between playing college football and playing in the pros, my answer lies here. Over the last 11 years, I have always had school to occupy my time outside of meetings and practice. The pressure that I somewhat lived off of to get me from assignment to assignment in the classroom is no longer a part of my life. I’m faced with time off now that is my own free time to do whatever I want with no "responsibilities" outside of being a responsible professional athlete.

Not that I miss school, but I do admit that I miss the pressure that it gave me. I remember my first couple months in the League; I had no idea what to do with my free time during the season. I had just enough time to make me think that I needed to be doing something but didn’t have the energy to do it. So many of evenings were spent on my couch, which, just for the record, might be the most comfortable thing ever.

I ordered the premium cable package because it would have to be a perfect time consumer. I soon developed my opinion of TV. I grew up without cable. We had six channels and as a kid, there always seemed to be something on worth watching. This is where my theory on mega channel cable systems comes in. Since I had so many channels, I felt as though there always had to be something on that I REALLY wanted to watch. If I found something that looked interesting, I always wound up changing the channel because there had to be something else on that was better. As a kid, with six channels to choose from, my expectations were low, so anything half way decent was worth seeing. But now with 200 channels, my expectations for what it will give me are so high and the reality of the quality of shows today are so low that my mega channel T.V. experiment was unsuccessful to say the least.

I remember walking through the coaches office a couple of months ago. I didn’t have anything to do for a while so I stopped in one of my coaches office and asked if I could go over some game tape with him because I had some time to kill. He responded, "No Alvin, not time to kill. Time to be productive." A silly little coachism, but it actually had a big effect on the way I view my free time. Given my new ideology of leisure time, I have been able facilitate that same pressure on myself that I have surprisingly missed. On any given night you might catch me writing a new song on my guitar, cooking a delicious meal, or engrossed in a book (currently Piercing the Darkness by Frank Peretti) which are my current free-time occupiers. Low energy, purposeful stuff with just enough pressure to provide a good compliment to the pressures of professional football.

Okay, I’ve got to quickly end this thing because I have to get to bible study which starts in twenty minutes. My teammates often joke with me because I walk so fast. Little do they know that I always have somewhere to be.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great hands, spiritually nourished, ... and single? We could use a few more of him in this world. :) I'm inspired.

6:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alvin Pearman is family so yeah I am biased. The man is the poster child for what pro athletes should be. Humble, generous and sincere with a work ethic that coaches love, Alvin has more talent than he know what to do with. I have been a fan of his since he was very young and continue to enjoy all that he does both on and off the field for the community. Keep doing you and keep God first little cousin…the best is yet to come.

6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God is so amazing. I have to admit that I probably could not have picked Alvin Pearman or any other NFL player out of a lineup three weeks ago - there may be an exception for Eli (keep reading).

The most recent memory I had of football was trying to maneuver across the Grove at the Univ. of MS (Ole Miss) during the Fall 2003 exam period to get to Lamar Hall - I think it was Eli Manning's senior year. I had lost an exam notebook, and the thought of football could not have been more distant from me. Actually, I was utterly frustrated that campus was practically shut down for the game activities. Three years later, I find myself happily working in Jacksonville - home to the NFL Jaguars. After a serendiptitious encounter with a kind man a few weeks ago, a little deductive reasoning and research helped me to uncover his identity.

I'm from Columbia, MS, which avid football fans may remember as Walter Payton's hometown. For those who know of Payton's legacy, "Sweetness" should ring a bell. Well, Alvin Pearman (#34) reminds me of Walter Payton(#34) - from the size of his frame to that of his heart. Alvin, PLEASE keep your humble spirit. Based on what I've read about you, my first impression of you was only a glimpse to the life you live. As your cousin stated, "the best is yet to come." I pray God's continued blessings in your life.

Peacefully,
[A Lady]

p.s. I only had three channels to watch as a child and endured a similar mega cable experience. My friends think it's funny that I refuse to get cable now, but they have to admit that my life is much more productive w/o it. :)

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"serendipitous" - not "serendiptitious" - this is what happens when you become spoiled by Word and WordPerfect spellck and then write a comment w/o spellck. Oh well, I couldn't think of a better word to capture the moment.

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Should there be a Salary Cap in Football?
Personally I think there should be! It’s just getting to be stupid money in football at the top of the premiership!
It’s always the same teams at the top proving that football success is based purely on money which ruins the idea of it being a sport! They’ve done it in rugby, basketball, hockey and American football and it makes the sports more competitive and better to watch!
I do a little Spread Betting from time to time and most matches don’t hold much surprise who is going to win, its boring! I want to see a team at the bottom pulling off an amazing season beating last seasons winners in a close fought battle!
Make things fair! It shouldn’t be about money!
Plus!
All there is all that money in the premiership and barely any of it stays in the UK so it’s not even helping the economy!
From my Spread Betting (or more precisely Football Spread Betting) if I ever win big (which is never, I’m unlucky) it’s still nothing compared to the average premiership players weekly wage!

6:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home