The NCAA Football Blog: A virtual stadium where fans get an insider-look at NCAA Football
with opinions, guest bloggers, and celebrities giving their take.

Friday, October 20, 2006

What is the most valuable thing in the world to Tyrone Willingham?: Exclusive to EGC


By: Tyrone Willingham
There are many topics that would be great discussions for football fans and the general public. But none would be of greater benefit than the question from an unknown author that I read some time ago.

The question was, “What is the most valuable thing in the world?” Obviously there are many answers that come to mind--God, love, family and security are a few answers that deserve the title if not at least high ranking. But, let me lay out the question as the author had when I read it some years ago.

WHAT IS THE MOST VALUABLE THING IN THE WORLD?
I am the most desirable thing in life. Without me, no one can be healthy, happy, or useful. Without me, the hidden wealth and vast resources of this earth would have no value.
Men and women who try to get along without me are characterless, selfish, undeveloped, useless, and unprofitable members of society. I am behind every fortune, every art and science, every achievement, every triumph of man.
Rich men and poor men alike often try to find substitutes for me, hoping thereby to secure a larger measure of happiness, peace, and satisfaction, but they are always bitterly disappointed. Instead of gain, every substitute for me brings them loss.
As the creator is greater than the creation, so I am greater than wealth, power, fame, learning, or any other acquired possession or quality of man because I am the source from which he acquired them.

This is a tremendous question that reaches beyond football but also is at the very core of all we do in the game. The author’s answer is, “I am work.” I doubt that most would have guessed that answer. I certainly didn’t, yet work has always been high on my list of priorities in life and ingredients needed for success. When you break down all the things in life, as well as football, that you would like to acquire, work has to be at the core.

As we seek to build the University of Washington’s football program our mission is to develop championship teams, championship students, championship persons and young men that desire to have fun the right way. It is my belief, along with the author, that work is a major part of the formula for success. As we move toward a more technical society, we must maintain our connection with work both from a physical and an intellectual nature.

I touch on this subject because I believe that in all of life it is important to have a strong work ethic in order to be a great football team or even a great country. Again, this is true as we have changed from an agricultural to a technical country.

Thank you and let the discussion begin.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Big Picture said...

sounds like Ty to us. a strong advocate for a good work ethic.

Zach
U-Dub Dish
http://www.udubdish.com

4:31 PM  
Blogger John Berkowitz said...

Kind of interesting, but what in the world did you ask him to get him to ramlbe on like that?

http://uwfootball.blogspot.com/

6:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Allowing me to comment your site would be a great pleasure. Thank you.
Your site is so great.

Sports Online Betting is where you will bet in your online sports.

4:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home