The NCAA Football Blog: A virtual stadium where fans get an insider-look at NCAA Football
with opinions, guest bloggers, and celebrities giving their take.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

A Woman who Loves Football

By: GUEST BLOGGER futbolgoddess FROM THE FOOTBALL MONOLOGUES
The Football Monologues focuses on both the newbie and die-hard female football fan. Though she focuses mostly on the NFL, there's plenty of football wisdom to go around!

1. What made you become a football fan?
I was kind of a football fan growing up because my dad and brother watched the Eagles but I would not watch it on my own and I don’t know how much of it I really understood. Then in college I spoke to my sports addict boyfriend (now husband) about it because I knew he loved it and so I started watching non-eagles games (cause that’s all I got on the tv) just so I could talk the game like a pro. haha (cheesy) Now that I have two fantasy teams I watch every game that is on tv.

2. Do you have any set steps for women looking to join their boyfriends/husbands/male acquaintances in the glorious haze that is watching football on the weekends or is it a case by case thing?
I think first step for a girl if they are trying to get into football because of their boyfriend is to be able to sit through an entire game of the team their boyfriend likes. You cannot care about other players and other teams until you find yourself so excited every Sunday that YOUR team is playing. Watching one game a week is a big step for women!

3. What's the biggest hurdle for women seeking to become football fans if they're no longer in college?
Learning the sport. This is the same for all sports. If you don’t understand the penalties, the scoring, the time clock then the game is boring! I watched hockey for two full seasons without knowing what the blue line was. It was just so much more fun and exciting when you know what’s actually going on which is why the sitting through one full game a week theory works.

4. Any memorable experiences being a knowledgeable female fan in a world of boys?
I can pick up guys at a bar in a second. Not because I’m so god damn beautiful (haha) but simply because I can talk the sport on their level. I grab guy’s attention very quickly because not many women know as much as I know and it’s a nice breath of fresh air from their girls, moms, or wives who just complain about the sport. When I say it’s a good pick up line I’m not kidding... guys dig it!

5. Though most of your focus is on women, there are of course men who don't follow football as much as their wives/girlfriends/female acquaintances. Any tips for women trying to get their man to appreciate their addiction to football?
Same as trying to get women into. Start small with one team and one game. Learn the sport before jumping into fantasy football or whatever because then it just gets frustrating that YOU STINK.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This woman is my inspiration! :)

8:11 AM  
Anonymous Cake Pop Recipes said...

Very nicee post

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home