The NCAA Football Blog: A virtual stadium where fans get an insider-look at NCAA Football
with opinions, guest bloggers, and celebrities giving their take.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Fantastic Finish in the Fiesta

Hook and ladder. Check.

Halfback pass. Check.

Statue of liberty?! Check.

For those of you lucky enough to have stayed up late Monday night, you know what I am talking about. And the rest of you have no doubt heard about the greatest college football game in recent memory. Boise State’s win over Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl may have been the best football game I’ve ever seen. Seriously.

If you can think of a better one you’ve seen please let me know.

I have tried but can’t come up with much that beats this one. This game had everything. It had the underdog story, little Boise State crashing the BCS big boy party, and kicking the door in. It had the big lead, the blown lead, the late game heroics, tons of late-game heroics.

I don’t think I need to recount everything that happened in this game, especially in the last quarter and overtime. But Boise State head coach Chris Petersen just has to be commended for some of those offensive play calls. I can’t decide which one was gutsier. I lean toward the fourth-and-goal half-back pass in overtime.

But they were not only the perfect calls, they were run perfectly. We may never again see plays of that caliber and difficulty run, basically, in succession. It was awesome to watch.

For Oklahoma, I know this one stings. But it took unbelievable fight to battle back and take the lead in that game. It is a tribute to Bob Stoops and his team. It really is a shame someone had to lose this game.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're absolutely right, it clearly was one of the best games Ive watched period. I wanted to go to bed but I couldnt, the game kept me glued to my couch and television.

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home